Thursday, April 16, 2015

My Special Guest This Week Is John Day


 Hello Writers and Readers

Please welcome John Day, he is our Feature Author for the next week and he is excited to share his book, Fugitive, with us. He will be sharing Fugitive and some hints to his current projects with us as the week progresses.

I am so excited to introduce this feature author as he is probably one of the nicest people I have met in a long time so when he approached me for a feature spot on my blog I jumped at the opportunity, plus I really missed our conversations.

I first met John Day when he requested that I read Counterpoint and didn't care for it and I was truly surprised when he emailed me asking me questions about my opinion of his book and then making suggestions that I believe helped to improve my blog in many ways. When he contacted me again I was really super shocked because I figured after that first review and conversation afterwards that he would never ask me to review his work again, but he asked me to beta read Fugitive, so I did and gosh am I ever glad I did. John has such a passion for his writing but he also has a passion for giving his readers what they need from his books that he will go that extra mile to see that they get it.

That being said, I haven't re-read the entire book yet but I am going to be posting my review at the end of his week long visit and I have to say from the snippets I have skimmed through so far I have already found a couple of my favorite parts and look forward to sharing them.

Please join me in welcoming John Day and his book Fugitive to Laura Lu's Book Reviews.

Today we are starting with an introduction to John Day beginning with his Bio and page links. At the bottom of the page you will find a form where you can ask John a question. I will post the answers to your questions at the end of his visit so you have all week to ask them.
Born in England he spent most of his working life there running his own businesses. In 2005 he and his wife Carole, moved to the beautiful Channel Island of Alderney.

Inspired by a dream one night whilst on holiday, perhaps it was the wine maybe the rich food, we shall never know, the sudden desire to write surged through his active loins.

Like most writers, the first book was easy.

It was a muddled genre actually, a thriller definitely, but with a difference. It was a misjudged attempt to explain how the world had been visited by several genetically engineered scouts who had vampire like abilities. Put like that, no wonder it was dismissed as a muddle. The premise was quite ingenious actually, but most readers did not read past the word vampire. Considering movies like Alien, V, and Predator, it had a well thought out plot. It was during a beta read that it dawned on John, the whole thing had misfired!

The story was reworked and became, simply an action thriller, called Counterpoint, the first of the Max & Carla series. Reviews averaged 4.5 stars, and not bad for the first published book. That was followed by Fire Ice, a continuation of the series. Although reviewers claimed it was even more thrilling than the first, and that one was hard to put down, it was never published.

The passion for writing had by now become overwhelming and an even better sequel was written, called Fugitive, due for release very soon. Although the main characters are the same, the first half of the book is dark and gruesome but entirely plausible, if you believe the daily news. The second half is lighter, in a different setting and would make a great thriller just on its own.

The most recent inspiration took place during a long pacific cruise at the beginning of this year, it was the food this time, honestly! Oddly enough, it is also where part of Fugitive takes place. This story has a complete change in characters, writing style and period. This book, The Glass Beacon, will knock your socks off! It is being finished at this moment, so look out for updates. See cover!
Amongst his other interests are Photography Click link or as he likes to describe himself, a Happy Snapper! His photo website has a remarkably large following.

Adventurous by nature, John Day has had some very close calls. Occasionally life has been quite cruel, but his knack of turning adversity into advantage has served him well. His experience of life shines through in his characters.

Where John can be found